Tuesday, March 24, 2009

.tel domains - Disconnected

I registered my first .tel domain, but right away I had a problem with it. I wanted to use our 800-number, but they are so fussy about the format they you can use to enter it and don't allow hyphens. I doubt the people running the registry are based in the US. We like hyphens in our phone numbers with periods being an ok replacement, but to take them all out is annoying.

Then it would not take my extension number with the 800-number. I finally got around the problem by adding the extension to the description "Work Phone (Use extension 64444)", but this is kind of screwed if you ask me. They should have an additional field for extensions or notes like "Hours between 9 and 5".

Ok, I entered in a profile, which you have to have for the domain to start showing up, but I don't see it, so I call support at Name.com to see how long this will take.... They say they don't know. Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder about this... The rep says no one expected so much demand for the service.

I advised the rep at Name.com that I would wait and see if they got this resolved in the next day or two and if not I would ask for a refund. She said that if I was thinking of doing that I should cancel within 24 hours (I thought we had 5 days according to ICANN?). So I told her I wanted to cancel now, I had wasted enough time on this at this point.

Name.com issued an account credit and did so quickly and cheerfully. I like them a lot.

I told the rep I would wait until things calm down and maybe try again, but I'm not crazy about their AJAX-infested user interface. I prefer nice quick html text forms that load fast. I think the domain is a good idea, but I'm not sure how well thought out it is, due to the lack of allowing for phone extension numbers, and I worry that the hosting demands will later require they up their fees to cover expenses.

www.telnic.org

No comments: